I am writing to say what a fantastic holiday I have had in Morocco; it was a wonderful mix of workshops and experiences in Essaouira which was quite magical – food and accommodation was first class, and the guidance to shops and bars a real treat!
As for the workshops, extremely informative and enjoyable; I really learnt a lot. The visit to the countryside was also interesting, especially with Claudia guiding us.
I would thoroughly recommend the holiday for any textiles people who want to have a great holiday and learn a great deal about dyeing and weaving. (Gail G, April 2017)
9 – 16 SEPTEMBER 2017 – 1 place available
14-21 April 2018 – now taking bookings, please email for more info.
Join Aviva for a unique textiles experience in Essaouira – an ancient fishing port on Morocco’s Atlantic coast, now a UNESCO world heritage site with blue-shuttered, whitewashed buildings and a special, laid-back magic. Aviva has been travelling to Morocco since 2007 and would love to share her passion for this wonderful place with you.
The programme for the week includes:
- visit to local Sunday flea market by horse drawn carriage
- guided orientation walk around the medina, visiting the local markets to buy materials and dyes for your workshops
- 2 one day print and dye workshops at Aviva’s rooftop studio using local materials and indigo to dye fabrics and yarns for weaving
- One day weave workshop using small hand held looms to create your own woven piece to take home. Enjoy afternoon tea with some of the local ladies from the Anaoras Cooperative who will show you their own work and share some of their weaving techniques with you.
- one day excursion to the country with Berberlands – visit the local market to buy ingredients for your cookery class, on an organic olive farm where you will learn Berber style cookery – bake bread, cook a delicious tajine, then enjoy lunch!!
Located in the old medina, the accommodation is in a traffic-free neighbourhood with traditional homes hidden behind intriguing doorways. You will be staying in a tastefully renovated house with fabulous sea and sunset views from the roof terrace – various room options are available from double en-suite to shared triple. Breakfast is served on the roof terrace each morning.